YOUR PRODUCT PHOTOGRAPHY STARTS YOUR SALES PITCH!
And you got to start with right foot forward !
People believe in what they see? Right. Any business success totally depends on product selling. Selling in an e-commerce business is only possible when a customer likes your product, now the big question is how to tell them what quality your product is. When you cannot make them feel the quality physically but you can make them feel your quality virtually. Your products photo is the sole way to attract a customer to review your product.
The better quality and transparency your product’s photograph show the better customer finds it.
It is not necessary for you to hire a big photo studio and spend thousands on one photo shoot; you can very easily set up a studio right in your house and take excellent pictures of your product.
In this article, you’ll understand how to take a better picture of your products. We’ll also cover the uploading process of top e-commerce sites in India like Flipkart, Amazon, Snapdeal, Paytm, Shopclues.
Some tips and tricks you need to remember when clicking a picture of your product:
FOLLOWING ARE IMPORTANT FOR A GREAT E-COMMERCE PRODUCT PHOTOGRAPH
WHY PRODUCT PHOTOGRAPH IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR E-COMMERCE?
- Your product photograph is the ambassador of your brand
- Customers judge the product through its photograph
- A photograph is more effective than written content
- A good photograph attracts more customer
- People trust what they see
1. RIGHT LIGHT
It is important to have correct lighting, natural light can be best for some products. Natural light is soft and brings out the color of the product in such a detail which artificial lighting sometimes cannot.
Image source: www.apogeephoto.com
It is very important that you understand what your product needs? You need to create a color balance to bring out the best of your product.
The quantity of light should be perfectly distributed.
If you don’t have a natural light source, need not to worry, you can very easily create your own soft light studio in your home.
See the video to learn –how to build your own studio?
Keep the background simple, it is important for your background to be simple. When you are taking a picture of the product you do not want customer’s mind to wander off anywhere from your product, your background must not overpower your product.
A right background shows the product in full glory. White is the magic color for most of your products, white being a neutral color brings out the detail of your product.
Image source: www.liveinternet.ru
3. LIFE SHOTS
Sometimes a plain background does not do justice with the product, to make things more realistic use relative backgrounds.
For some articles like jewelry, books, kitchen utensils the impact of the image is not much when alone.
When taking a picture of jewelry keep it with some antique stuff or on a silk cloth to create an aura of beautification.
Image source: www.akronadvantage.com
When taking a picture of a book keep it with some coffee and pen in dim light.
Kitchen utensils look best with colorful food in them, t shows their reliability
4. COVER ALL THE ANGLES
Be creative when taking a photograph, take pictures from all the angles and points you can think of. You never know which angle brings the best of your product.
Keep in mind that your product size should be clarified in your pictures, a customer can feel cheated if the size and shape are not same as the picture.
Image source: WIX
5. BE STEADY
Use a tripod stand for clicking your pictures, however, good you are a little movement can make your image blur. When we zoom in the shakiness of picture is visible. Be very careful while clicking a picture.
Image source : www.gizmag.com
6. SHOW EVERYTHING
A customer must get full information of the product. Whatever you mention in product description should also be seen in the pictures.
For example- If you mention lunch box set to have extra lids show them the lunch box with extra lids. Same way when you say available in different colors don’t just mention colors, show them the picture of the product in each color.
Image source: www.splintmedia.com
7. GIVE A CLOSER LOOK
People get impressed when they can take a closer look to the product. It makes them believe that you are not hiding anything. Take the picture in high quality so that it does not get blur while zooming.
In the case of clothing, everyone likes to see the minor details too. Like in the picture below you can zoom into every detail and judge the product yourself.
Image source: Amazon.com
8. DO NOT DELETE
Do not judge your picture by just seeing it on your camera, some pictures look very good and different in larger view. Keep every picture in your database you never know what can be valuable later.
9. AVOID FILTERS
Nowadays everyone has a smart phones, photography has become more of a phone thing then camera thing. Filters are fun when used for showing your pictures to friends but when it comes to a product, a customer it may raise some doubt in their mind about product quality.
Image source: www.photographymad.com
10. EDITING IS IMPORTANT
Once you are done with taking shots, doing touch ups is important. It is not necessary for you to be a web designer, simply upload your pictures to editing software and start editing. Small things like cropping and color collection can make a big difference.
Choose 1-3 different sizes from large to medium and small. Edit your photos to fit one of the pre-selected sizes so that you won’t have too much variation
As you prepare images for your site, make sure they are approximately the same size.
11. UPLOADING PRODUCT IMAGE ON DIFFERENT E-COMMERCE WEBSITES
Guidelines for image you can upload
If you are uploading your product on e-commerce websites like Flipkart, Amazon, Snapdeal, Paytm, Shopclues,etc. keep these guidelines in mind. The guidelines are
- Images must accurately show the product and show only the product that’s for sale, with minimal or no propping.
- MAIN images must have a pure white background (pure white blends in with the Amazon search and item detail pages – RGB values of 255, 255, 255.
- MAIN images must show the actual product (not a graphic or illustration), and must NOT show excluded accessories, props that may confuse the customer, text that is not part of the product, or logos/watermarks/inset images.
- The product must fill 80%-85%(depending on the websites) or more of the image.
- Images should be 1000 pixels or larger in either height or width, as this will enable zoom function on the website (zoom has proven to enhance sales). The smallest your file should be is 500 pixels on the longest side.
How to upload product on online?
- Log into your seller account on your e-commerce website.
- Select the inventory tab, click ‘Add a Product’
- Check whether your product already exist in website’s catalogue by copying its UPC or ISBN or EAN in the ‘SEARCH BOX’.
- If your product does not exist, click the Create a new product.
- Now you will have to choose the category of your product from the list, choose the category carefully as it cannot be changed once the page is created.
- Add details of your product in Vital info, offer, images, description, keywords, and More detail tabs.
- When you are finished with the process, Save and finish.
- You will receive a success message confirm your page has been created.
NOTE– Product detail page will be created in fifteen minutes; however, it can take up to 2-4 days for pages to become searchable on the website. Image can take 24 hours to appear.
A good picture catches attention so it requires your attention
Photography of product is a very important part in sales of your product in the e-commerce business. A good picture immediately catches the attention of customers and helps in increasing your sales.
Simple techniques applied can turn your product photograph into a great photograph. Take images keeping image guidelines in mind.
Keep clicking good pictures with these simple tips and you might become better than professionals one day.