This article is for basic knowledge of Marketers who in there keenness to get more traffic to their site accidentally tread upon the discouraged techniques which harm a brand in the long run rather than help create more traffic.
Black hat SEO or Unethical SEO Practices is mostly used by those who are looking for a quick financial return on their or client website. Investment on their Website. Black hat SEO refers to the use of aggressive SEO strategies, set of practices or techniques and tricks that focus only on increasing a site or pages’ rank in search engines by violating search engines’ terms and conditions.
The term “black hat” originated in Western movies to distinguish the “bad guys” from the “good guys,” who wore white hats.
We suggest that Marketers shall be aware of these and should discourage the service provider from using the same on their website and protect their brand being tarnished online.
Few of the UNETHICAL or Wrong SEO practices are detailed below:
1. PAGE CLOAKING : When a search engine spider approaches to the client site, a script help deliver a different version of the web page, one that contains content not present on the visible page. The purpose of cloaking is to deceive search engines so they display the page with certain keywords which can help build traffic. Search Engines take this seriously and will blacklist your site.
2. KEYWORD STUFFING : When a webpage is overloaded with Keywords in the meta tags or in content. Many times there is a repetition of words in meta tags or are hidden in the code which cannot be seen to the viewer but to search engine spiders only. This is known as Keyword Stuffing. Search Engines do not take this method lightly and penalise the site for keyword rankings.
3. LINK FARMING : Since Search engines consider number of backlinks positively for rating the site higher, SEO experts make number of junk sites and include links of the main site of the client. Now search engine crawlers have become intelligent enough to understand this and will result in negative marking so to say.
4. AUTOMATIC SUBMISSION : Using Software to submit continuously to web directories. Such automation leads to spamming of the directories. When caught, the website is taken off indexing by the search engines.
5. DOORWAY PAGES, BRIDGE PAGES : If a webpage Page is created to attract a certain type of traffic stuffed with keywords & phrases and then forwards the traffic to an unrelated site or webpage are called doorway pages. The difference between landing page and doorway page is that landing page keywords are optimized and doorway page keywords are unrelated crap.
6. BLOG SPAM : Posting of links in the comments on blogs with the help of automated software to increase the number of inbound links is not considered good. It is wise to put a relevant comment which goes as per the flow of the article/blog presented before.
7. DUPLICATE CONTENT : The Practice of copying an authoritative content from another site by a comparatively new site in order to create easy content may get them considered as SPAM site and cause complete removal from the index of search engines.
8. SOCIAL NETWORKING SPAM : Spamming various social networking channels with advertisement messages rather than while in the conversation is considered unethical way of SEO and also repel away people from the brand. Eg. Messages like visit message.com to see pics of me and my friends.
9. IRRELEVANT KEYWORDS : Using irrelevant keywords to attract web traffic to the webpage with no relation to the context and content of the client site . Eg. Premium holiday package selling site using keywords of premium car brands to attract HNI traffic.
10. ARTICLE RE-WRITING : If an article is re-written more than 5-10 times by rewording it and presenting as a different one each time, is not considered good in the eyes of search engines. But a different approach or angel on the same subject can be relevant content. Almost the same content will be considered as SPAMMING by the search engines.
These type of practices are recognized by search engines one by one and give a negative impact on the website once a search engine changes its algorithms.
Ethical SEO Processes are slower but steadier. In greed to show results faster, the so called SEO experts harm the site’s traffic affinity in the long run which can harm your online Brand