A Content Delivery Network (CDN) is a globally distributed network of proxy servers expanded in multiple data centers. The goal of CDN is to provide better and faster web performance for end users.
NEED OF CONTENT DELIVERY NETWORK (CDN)
For Example, you are located in India and a visitor from the USA visits your website, then the web page data must travel from India to the USA. The web page data will stop at multiple routers on the way resulting in longer loading time and nobody likes it.
A Content delivery network has servers all over the world, it stores a cached version (temporary storing of a web page) of its content in multiple locations. Cached version is the copy of all the element of a web page, it is implemented to speed up the web page delivery. The main problem solved by the CDN is Latency, Latency is the amount of time taken by the host server to receive and process a request of a web page. In simple terms Latency means the time the data takes to travel from point A to Point B, latency depends on how far the user is from the server and the number of resources a web page contains. Content Delivery Network (CDN) service providers help in page speed optimization by reducing the page load time globally.
CDNs not only ensure the faster experience to your users, but they also help to prevent site crashes in the high flow of traffic. It helps to distribute the bandwidth across multiple servers, instead of allowing one server to handle all the traffics.
WHO USES CDN SERVICES
If your website visitors are from multiple countries or even multiple continents then using a CDN service is a good choice. CDNs are not for everyone, especially if you are running a localized website.
If your web pages contain a large number of the object then you should use Content Delivery Network Services. Suppose if your web page contains 100 objects then your user’s browser has to make 100 individual requests to your server to retrieve those objects. For reducing page load speed CDN is not the standalone solution. The two another important factors affecting the web page speed are third party content and the server side processing. You CDN Service providers can’t help you with those.
EVOLUTION OF CDN
Commercial CDNs have been around since the 90’s. They went through several evolutionary stages to become the robust application delivery platform. Till 2000 it was a static CDN which was very expensive and the agenda was only performance. Then from 2001 to 2010, it was developed to dynamic CDN which was less expensive and the agenda was performance and availability. Then from 2010 to till now, we are using multipurpose CDN which serves static and dynamic content, including mobile and rich media, less expensive with agenda of security, performance, and availability.
CHOOSING THE BEST CDN SERVICE PROVIDER
When choosing a CDN you must analyze what are your requirements. Do you need on demand delivery, live or a combination, how much content you have and how much you plan to add from time to time. You are a small or medium sized business or an organization with more media, broadcast or an organization with the larger number of visitors.
FACTORS TO REMEMBER WHILE CHOOSING CDN
Measuring the response time is the great way to evaluate the strength of a CDN. The main need of CDN is to minimize the latency by serving static assets from the edge. Content Delivery Network CDN service providers have teams dedicated to optimizing their stacks and auditing their infrastructure in order to better manage increased traffic spikes. So the CDN is able to deliver their services as promised.
Security is the main concern while choosing a Content Delivery Network CDN Service Provider. Website Security is all about managing the outside access to your protected parameters, means blocking all the threats to your website. A CDN is able to prevent these attacks on your website and web application.
Money is always important. Prices differ between CDNs so comparing the prices is a good idea. You should always choose custom price plans according to your need, initial pricing plans can be avoided while making the decisions for Content Delivery Network Service.
A Small-sized or Mid-sized company has a small technical team. They are a small business company so they need to maintain the budget and everything so they don’t have that much staff. Because of the lack of technical team member and staff they need a CDN service on which they can rely as a partner. CDNs that target the SMB market can add a lot of value for customers. Not all CDNs service provider do that, only a few are doing this so you need to find them and select them for the best utilization.
So when selecting the Content delivery service ask them what is their ticket response time. It should be no more than a few minutes.
CDNs having complex DNS setup can slow things down. What often happens is that a faster wait time gets offset by slower DNS response time. When a browser makes a domain name request that is handled by CDN, the server handling DNS requests for the domain name looks at the incoming request to determine the best set of servers to handle it. So the CDN should not have a complex DNS setup that makes it difficult or more time consuming to select the best set of servers to handle the request.
Application Programme Interface (API) is a set of functions and procedures for the creation of applications. It is used so that individual programmes can communicate with one another directly and use each others functions. So APIs Offer Content Delivery Network (CDN) users more flexibility, added features, advanced security, and much more.
Many CDN Service Providers offer 24/7/365 support via phone and email that is great. There are some other considerations other than support also:-
- Willingness to help and Knowledge level of customer support representatives.
- Account management quality and availability.
- How fast they solve the problem.
- How CDN is working with you, it is supporting you in technical things or not. CDN should be corporative.
Check the customer testimonials. You can talk to your friends and businesses that are currently using Content Delivery Network CDN Services, you will get real suggestions from them. You can ask them which CDN service providers are giving good services, their feedback will help you a lot.
TOP 10 CDN SERVICE PROVIDERS
- AKAMAI TECHNOLOGY – This is the company behind Facebook and other massive global web properties.
- ABACAST – Abacast provides an integrated solution that enables profitability and grows audiences across the web, social and mobile.
- BIG GRAVITY – Founded in 2006, it was the world’s first Content Delivery Service CDN Service provider for on-demand video delivery and HD live streaming. Big Gravity accelerates the websites, serve better-performing videos, and 24/7 broadcasts online in HD.
- INCAPSULA – Easy and very fast to implement, no re-coding required. It uses content and network optimization tools to make your website and web application run faster.
- CACHEFLY – A leader in CDN technology, it is high performing, a reliable content delivery service provider from over a decade. It has shown consistency in service and reliable one.
- CD NETWORK – Delivering Robust website and application functionality via Global cloud acceleration and security. Better reach, availability and performance than any of the other CDN’s.
- CDN SUN – They provide help with integration of CDN and have an extensive network. They provide a service in a good provide.
- AMAZON CLOUDFRONT – It is a content delivery network offered by the Amazon Web Services. It’s a good choice when you are searching for a cheap CDN service Provider.
- EDGECAST – Best customer support, best reporting functionality, best performance. The company was founded in 2006 and has made their customerssatisfies from their services.
- MAX CDN – Good customer support and services. It has cheap plans and has good performance according to the prices.
CDN is another major factor that can affect the pagespeed of your website
- By considering all these factors, it will be little easy for you to select a Content Delivery Network Service. CDN services are improving and updating their services according to the increase in the need.
- CDN helps in page speed optimization a lot when you are targeting globally.